At 6 a.m., Tier 1 restrictions (explained below) went into effect for Interstate 81, I-83 and I-283. These are not speed restrictions. Some vehicles are now prohibited from using those roads at this time.
WGAL is getting multiple reports of crashes as freezing rain is falling in many areas of the Susquehanna Valley.
PennDOT Tier 1 prohibitions
- Tractors without trailers.
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers, or tank trailers.
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers.
- Enclosed unloaded or lightly loaded cargo delivery trucks/box trucks that meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pick-up trucks, etc.) towing trailers, to include:
- Recreational travel trailers and fifth-wheel trailers.
- Enclosed cargo trailers.
- Open cargo trailers.
- Vehicle transport trailers.
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes.
- School buses, commercial buses, and motor coaches without available chains or Alternate Traction Devices (ATDs).
- PennDOT and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission are advising motorists to avoid unnecessary travel during the winter storm.